A state-of-the-art food recovery and preservation facility, the mission of the Green Oceanside Kitchen is to provide opportunity, programming and infrastructure to foster a sustainable food system in the region dedicated to eliminating waste and feeding the community.
WHAT: The Green Oceanside Kitchen Grand Opening
WHEN: Saturday, June 22, 2019
4:00 pm: Event Begins
4:30 pm: Cooking Demonstration
5:00 pm: Ribbon Cutting/Remarks from Oceanside City Council, City staff, and O’side Kitchen Collaborative staff
5:00 – 7:00 pm: Green Oceanside Kitchen Tours/Cooking Demonstrations/Tastings
WHERE: El Corazon Senior Center
3302 Senior Center Drive
Oceanside, CA 92056
- Marcela Valladolid will be the MC for the event. Currently, Marcela is hosting HGTV’s “Best Baker in America”
- Ribbon-cutting with appearances by Oceanside City Council, City staff, and O’side Kitchen Collaborative staff
- Cooking demonstrations
- Tour of Green Oceanside Kitchen
- Educational stations with reps from Produce Good, San Diego Food System Alliance, Cyclops Farms, Mraz Family Farms, and Visit Oceanside
- Live music
- Colleen Foster, Environmental Officer, City of Oceanside
- Vallie Gilley, CEO of O’side Kitchen Collaborative
- Cari Dale, Water Utilities Director, City of Oceanside
- Elected Officials
The City of Oceanside has partnered with O’side Kitchen Collaborative (OKC) to recover agricultural surplus from local farms, growers and gleaning organizations and transform this produce into delicious cuisine and preserved products, nutritious meals for the food insecure and full-service “catering for a cause.” Community workshops and cooking classes will be offered at the facility to raise awareness about the issues and educate participants on solutions to food waste.
Supporting Oceanside’s commitment to zero waste, responsible resourcing and climate action management, the goal of the Green Oceanside Kitchen is to divert edible food from the landfill and help nourish and educate the community. With about 40% of food produced in the U.S. ending up in landfills, and one in five San Diegans facing food insecurity, OKC and the Green Oceanside Kitchen will work to address these issues and provide a solution for the region.