- On Wednesday, Supervisor Desmond attended the 10-year Anniversary celebration for Edgemoor Hospital. Edgemoor provides 24-hour long term skilled nursing care for individuals having complex medical needs who require specialized interventions from highly trained staff.
- Borrego Days --- Supervisor Desmond was out in Borrego Springs last weekend, as the Grand Marshal for the 54th Annual festival. It was a bit of an emotional weekend as the Supervisor along with those attending the festival honored, Borrego Springs resident Bill Wright for his contributions to the community.
- Exciting News! At the last Board meeting, $28 million was approved to be used for upgrading and maintaining our roads. The County of San Diego provides municipal services for the entire unincorporated area, including communities such as Fallbrook, Valley Center and Rainbow. There are nearly 2,000 miles of roads of roads, 200 bridges, nearly 19,000 culverts, 196 traffic signals and over 37,000 traffic signs throughout the unincorporated area.
- A few months ago, Supervisor Desmond toured the Vista Detention facility and saw first-hand the incredible work being done by Veterans Moving Forward. VMF is a veteran-only, incentive based housing unit for male inmates who served in a branch of the United States military. At our last Board meeting, Supervisor Desmond passed an item to enhance the VMF program, by expanding the Community Care Coordination for veterans in the vista jail. A problem we continue to run into in San Diego County is the support system crumbling once veterans are out of the VMF program. This will allow the veterans to have a stable system once they’re out of jail.
- Supervisor Desmond spoke at Kiwanis Club of Carlsbad on Tuesday, giving an update on topics in the North County.
On Tuesday, Supervisors Jim Desmond and Kristin Gaspar hosted a veterans forum, with the focus being on military spouses and their families. Over 100 people attended the event at the North Inland Live Well Center in Escondido.