The following year in 1884 the San Bernardino Index reported that Oceanside would soon become “a favorite resort of sea-side pleasure seekers of this county.” A large wooden stairway was built from the bluff providing access to the beach and another newspaper reported that, “People have commenced to arrive at Oceanside for summer bathing. G.W. Graves and family and others are now there enjoying themselves in surf-bathing and fishing.”
In 1886 the Los Angeles Express referred to Oceanside as a “charming seaside resort” and went on to describe the city as “combining a magnificent beach, high and level ground for a town site, magnificent climate and charming scenery. The beach is unsurpassed, being smooth, hard and level as a floor, making a delightful boulevard over which buggies and other vehicles can be driven for twenty miles in either direction.
“In 1887 a beautiful colorized lithograph of an “aerial view” of Oceanside was sent all over the country advertising the town’s assets. In W.D. Frazee’s book “Oceanside” published in 1888, a doctor’s testimony stated reasons why Oceanside was good location for a health resort: “The invalid finds health and bright spirits, the pleasure seeker finds variety and amusement.”
By 1888 Oceanside boasted of several hotels, including the beautiful South Pacific Hotel, a wharf, an opera house and a bathhouse. These amenities were advertised in newspapers in Southern California and as far away as San Francisco and nearby states.
Oceanside’s wide beaches provided ample room for recreation and camping. The Oceanside Blade claimed that at low tide that one could drive for 10 miles along the beach. Residents and visitors set up tents and canopies for the summer months creating a “tent city.” During hot weather, especially inland, the demand for furnished cottages and beach tents was high. Inland residents would telegraph ahead to reserve a spot on the beach.
In 1902 Captain Sledge plowed up ground south of the depot to plant carnations. Carnations were so common in Oceanside that it became known as “Carnation City”. Franz Hosp, who planted the eucalyptus grove in Carlsbad was the city gardener and was in charge of maintaining the plots of flowers. Carnations as well as geraniums were planted around town on vacant land and on private lawns.
In 1904 a new hotel, the El San Luis Rey was built and the wooden bathhouse was replaced with a plunge which elevated Oceanside’s resort city status. An early advertisement humorously worded read, “Among other attractions at the hotel are tennis, golf, fishing, hot salt plunge and the safest surf bathing in the world. A paradise for people with overworked brains or nerves. A quiet resort without being stupid.”
In 1914 the Oceanside Tent City Company was formed by J.L. Mathews and others. Fred Hayes was the manager and Charles Rieke the superintendent of construction. The location of the site was north of the plunge. Tent City was touted as a “great advantage to the growth and development of Oceanside.” A description of Tent City amenities: The tents are 12x16 with 6 foot walls and 11 foot ridge. They are made of 10 oz. duck with tan colored fly and are fitted with sanitary couches, two burner blue flame stoves being in each tent. Chairs, chins, cutlery and cooking utensils are provided in plenty and the entire city is electric lighted and piped with water.
The following year there was a greater demand for the tent cottages and builder Charles Rieke began building several “tent and palm houses”. These structures could accommodate 2 to 6 people and could be enlarged with a cook tent. The Blade Tribune reported that “advertising for the summer is already under way and is in the form of literature and slides for showing in moving picture theaters.” The slides included scenes of the beach and Tent City and were sent to Riverside, San Bernardino, Redlands and even Arizona.
The Oceanside Chamber beckoned visitors and new home seekers – “If you long for a beautiful country, with a matchless climate, come to Oceanside, where life is worth living.”
In 1922 George Chell purchased Tent City and in 1925 changed the name to Cottage City. They in turn built more substantial cottages and added a laundry and a social hall. The new cottages contained 2 rooms and a kitchen and also provided garages. Cottage City was located on the North Strand just south of Sixth (now Surfrider).
In 1928 A. J. Clark built 24 cottages on the 700 block of North Strand. They were designed by the Whiting-Mead Company and built at a cost of $25,000. In 1941, Harry and Virginia Roberts acquired the cottages who gave them their present name. The iconic double row of (mostly) pink houses continues to be a favorite vacation spot.
Continuing efforts to attract and satisfy visitors, Oceanside was concerned about appearances and each spring spearheaded efforts to maintain the beach, trimming shrubbery and mowing the lawns in the park, and planting geraniums on the bluff that could be seen from the pier.
Fishing, always a favorite pastime – even before Oceanside existed – was made more appealing with fishing barges for deep sea fishing. Whether fishing from the surf, pier or barge the newspaper routinely reported weekly catches of barracuda, smelt, mackerel, herring, yellow fin, croakers, sharks and black sea bass. Catching giant black sea bass was a common occurrence and many were upwards of 200 pounds or more.
Another attraction putting Oceanside on the map was its homegrown beauty. Beauty contests began in the early 1920s and soon Oceanside became the home of the Miss Southern California Beauty Contest. In early years the contestants were sponsored by merchants from all over Southern California and the girls wore sashes advertising their sponsors. The Oceanside band shell was covered in greenery, palms and gladiolas and a runway added. Thousands of spectators would arrive from all over to view the event and watching the crowning. In 1956 Raquel Tejada aka Raquel Welch came in second place, as the judges seemed to favor leggy blondes.
In 1930 concessions were added to the pier area which included a miniature nine hold golf course. Al Thill built a lunch counter and refreshment stand and a merry-go-round was added. Dancing at the pier pavilion and beach concerts were all favorite attractions. The Blade noted, “It looks like a big year at the beach.”
The beach, the historic Mission San Luis Rey, the beautiful weather, the Pacific Ocean and other amenities continue to attract tourists and visitors and help to make Oceanside where life is worth living!
By Kristi Hawthorne, President of the Oceanside Historical Society