Recently I have received a ton of questions about how to grow your customer base, email lists, social following, etc. Here's some quick DOs and DONTs to get more active followers:
1. DO include an email sign-up and social share options on EVERY page of your website. Place it in a prominent position and give visitors a compelling reason to connect with you (i.e. Discount offer, Free download, Helpful tips, etc.).
2. DONT buy a list or likes! Even if it were not a violation of the CAN-SPAM act, study after study has proven that it is not an effective way to build a following.
4. DONT make your email/social content about YOU. Remember to keep WIFM (What's In It For Me) in mind! People want content that is about THEM. How it will benefit them or entertain them or whatever, but make it about your readers and not you. If you really have something special to say about you, then make sure you also add content for them.
5. DO consider DIRECT MAIL. Yes I said old fashioned, low tech DIRECT MAIL! With email and social becoming the primary communication channel for most companies, direct mail is experiencing conversion rates higher than ever before. Mail boxes are emptier now and that provides an opportunity for a quality mailer to score big returns. Offer the reader something of value that they can only get by visiting your website and signing up for your email list or following you on social media.
6. DONT be afraid to try new things. When it comes to marketing, companies tend to lean towards traditional, tried and true practices. While this is a good standard it can also prevent you from embracing new opportunities that could delight, entertain and engage your followers. Every now and then make it a point to try something new, just make sure to run it past a few people before mass distributing.
7. DO test, track and measure the results of all your marketing efforts to determine what is and what is not working.
There are a lot of DOs and DONTs to marketing, but if you set a goal to try at least 1 new marketing tactic every week, within a year you could transform your marketing from bland to WOW!
If your marketing plan is falling flat and needs a refresh or worse yet, you do not have a marketing plan, then contact us for a Free Marketing Analysis, just in time for the Holiday buying season.
Amazeinc Internet Solutions