Job Description: City Clerk
The City Clerk provides legislative services to the City Council, Community Development Commission, and the Oceanside Harbor District; serves as the secretary to the Community Development Commission and Harbor District; reviews applicable legislation; conducts all general municipal and special elections in accordance with state law, and provides information guides on election processes; serves as a liaison between the public and the Mayor and Council members; maintains complete records and ensures that all public information is accessible; and performs other related work as assigned.
All applicants must meet the minimum qualifications to be considered for the City Clerk appointment:
- State election laws and procedures
- Principles and practices of supervision
- Records administration and maintenance
- Train and supervise staff members
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with the public, staff and elected officials in the administration of complex, detailed laws and regulations.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible experience as an Office Manager or Aide to an elected or appointed board.
Training: A Bachelor’s degree in public administration or a closely related field.
License/Certificate: A current, valid, California driver's license; certification as a Municipal Clerk or participant in continuing education for public officials program leading to certification is highly desirable.
The City Clerk’s position is part-time with an annual salary of $24,181.